Technology Encryption and Beyond
Encryption is an important part of protecting your information from being hacked or stolen. Companies employ encryption services to protect the information they collect from customers and affiliates. The encryption services make it safer to submit payment information online and to send private email to other people. As hackers have become better at retrieving private information, the encryption software has also improved. Barcodes, QR codes, and encryption tools work together to make tracking and storing information easier.
Barcodes were first invented to make storing and stocking items in a store much easier. The scanner could indicate when one unit of a product was purchased and allowed stores to easily see when they needed to order more. If you are trying to market and sell a product you will need to create a barcode for it, so that stores will be able to stock it. Many people can figure out the information on the barcode themselves, or with minimal research on a computer. Barcodes revolutionized the stocking and ordering system for stores. However, because barcodes are simple lines in a set space, it has become easier to hack the information and change it or create fake barcodes.
- ID Barcode: An example of how Georgia is using barcodes on the back of driver’s licenses to include more information.
- An Introduction to Barcodes: This report looks at how barcodes work, and how they have evolved over time.
- Barcodes for the Rest of Us: This news article explores how barcodes and camera phones can be sued to share information with the consumer.
- Nifty 50 Barcodes: This offers an explanation of how barcodes work.
QR codes are a more complex version of the traditional barcode. They use squares of dark and white space to encrypt the information that is stored. More companies are moving towards using QR codes because they allow more information to be stored. Some colleges, museums and libraries are using QR codes to store information for patrons. The patrons can scan the QR codes with an application on their phone and be connected to specific information about a painting they were looking at or a book they were searching for. Additionally, the United States Department of Energy has begun to use QR codes so that consumers can research product specifications while shopping.
- Educase- 7 Things You Should Know About QR Codes: This article looks at how QR codes work and how they are being applied in daily life.
- What is a QR Code: An explanation of what a QR code is and why the library is beginning to use them.
- QR Code Resources: An explanation of QR codes, and links to download apps to read the barcodes.
- QR Codes in Libraries: This explains how the library system is implementing QR codes and the benefits for students.
- Learn How a QR Code Works: This explains how the department of energy is using QR codes to make your purchasing research and decisions easier.
- 2D Barcodes as URLS: This paper explains a project that developed a phone bar code reader as a way to connect people with the Internet and specific websites.
Encryption helps to protect information that is passed electronically. Encryption software will put the information into code so that it can be transmitted over the Internet safely. When it reaches its destination the same software will decode it for the user. As companies use the Internet to access personal information it puts them at risk for hacking. Barcodes and QR codes make storing and accessing information easier. A good computer system for a company will have excellent encryption abilities to protect the consumer and the business. Personal computers should also have encryption software installed to protect your personal information.
- Net Action’s Guide to Using Encryption Software: This breaks down when and how to use the various types of encryption software.
- Encrypting Stored Data: This article explains when you need to encrypt data and then explains different program available to you depending on your operating system.
- Encrypting Tools: The Advanced Crypto Software Collection offers eight open source encryption programs available for you to use. The details and security levels of each program are listed on the page.
- Understanding the Basics: This page helps you understand encryption, authentication and authorization.
- What is Encryption: This article explains what encryption is and why it is needed.